Thursday, March 13, 2008

Would you throw away money on a new car? (pfblogs.org)

Now that the word is out about the new job coming up, people are asking me if I am going to apply. What has been interesting is that quite a few of them, after wishing me all the best, have then commented along the lines " at last you'll be able to buy a new car".Now the first time I heard it I didn't take much notice. But as the week has gone on I have felt more and more annoyed each time I hear it. Yesterday a friend (who does not work, and is financially independent due to an inheritance) commented about it as well."Oh thank God! You'll be able to afford a decent car at last!"Grrrr…!!!!My car is a 23 year Ford Laser. It's fine. I like it. It likes me. It doesn't break down, or cost a lot of money to maintain. I am very happy with 'old faithful' as I call her. I arrive where I am going safely and on time. I got this car as an ex-demonstrator model for a real bargain. It was the newest car I had ever owned and I paid it off in a year.Sure if someone offered me ...