Saturday, March 15, 2008

Cancer causes paranoia (pfblogs.org)

This morning I had an experience that was very unpleasant, but that is already starting to seem funny to me. If you're a regular reader, you'll know I lived through my second round of ovarian cancer a few months ago. Just this week I was marvelling that the human mind is incredibly resilient--already I can hardly remember parts of the experience. For the first couple of months, it was so strongly present in my mind that I couldn't get through a single conversation, even with strangers, without mentioning the cancer or something related to it. Now I go for days without thinking about it, and I'm enjoying feeling and looking like a normal person. But yesterday I had a doctor's appointment, not with my oncologist (that's not til April) but with another doctor who is helping me do some alternative therapies that will hopefully strengthen my body to fight the cancer naturally so it won't come back, or won't come back as badly. Don't worry, I'll still probably do whatever treatments my oncologist recommends as the years go by, but I figure it can't hurt to do the other stuff too.So yesterday I had this appointment, and it was harder ...