Saturday, March 15, 2008

Do you trust ads from radio DJs? (pfblogs.org)

By Paul MichaelThe US radio airwaves are filled with endorsements from radio DJs, and the list of things they hawk is mind-blowing.  Coming from a country that doesn't have these paid radio endorsements, I have a different perspective on it. And it leads me to ask two questions; do you really believe the endorsement?; does it change your opinion of the DJ? My radio station of choice at the moment is an AM talk radio station called KHOW. I am estimating here, but I would say around 22 minutes of each hour is devoted to advertising, and at least half of that is done by the DJs themselves. And to be honest, they really grind on me. Most of the time, it's the awful segues. There's a lot of political talk going on right now due to the November election. After an interesting and lively debate on Clinton and Obama recently, the DJ stopped in his tracks to say something like this: "Boy, you know this election really requires a candidate with a lot of vision and foresight, and that's why I'd like to talk about Lasik eye treatment and the amazing  offer you can get at Spivak." Talk about lame. But ...