Saturday, May 3, 2008

Quick & Easy Indian Cooking, Cookbook of the Day

Filed under: Books, Cookbook of the Day

Before I spent a year living with an Indian roommate, I had always though of Indian food as something you only ate in a restaurant. I was intimidated by the spices, the toasting and grinding, and the general foreignness of it. However living with Madhu for 11 months made me far more comfortable with Indian food, and when he moved out, I decided that I needed to get an Indian cookbook to continue my education.

Standing in the aisles of the bookstore, I settled on this volume, Quick & Easy Indian Cooking, by the first lady of Indian cookbooks, Madhur Jaffrey. I've found this book to be totally accessible and written in a voice that invites you to continue reading, even after you've studied the recipe you're planning for that moment. Everything I've made has turned out well and has been so delicious that I was momentarily stunned that I had produced it in my own kitchen. If you want to explore Indian cooking, this book is a great starting place.
Read | Permalink | Email this | Comments