Sunday, June 1, 2008

Sell the blog: pay off the debt

I've seen lots written about different ways to monetize a blog, but other than a single text ad sale, I haven't had much luck with generating passive income from Loonies And Sense. Yesterday, however, I found a link to a tool to calculate the value of a blog, based on its Technorati authority. A quick URL submission, and here's what I saw:


My blog is worth $23,710.68.
How much is your blog worth?


Nearly $24,000 for my little blog? It sounded too good to be true. However, some quick Googling showed me that this was not out of line for a blog with a decent number of posts. This amount would more than wipe out my revolving debt, so who am I to turn up my nose at such a sure thing? The only task that remained was to find a buyer.

I wasn't sure how easy it would be to track down someone with $23,710.68 to burn and a penchant for blogging, so I hit the social networks with my proposed sale. After less than half an hour of making my pitch, I received an offer for more than double my asking price. Needless to say, I accepted; I would have been a fool not to. The buyer is a Nigerian philanthropist, and once my cheque for $15,000 is deposited into his bank account, he'll be wiring me the agreed-upon purchase price of $65,000, for a cool $50,000 profit. I can't wait!

Starting next week, your host here at Loonies And Sense will be Mr. Esenam Ayele. He has a wealth of personal finance tips and tricks, and I'm sure you'll enjoy what he has to say. I just need to take care of some April business before I hand over the reins.