Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Police Surveillance

It was Friday around noon and I had to fill that beast of a truck up. So I went to the 7-11 pulled up at the pumps and went in to prepay for one hundred and twenty in gas. I stood there cussing at the oil companies as the gas flowed into the two tanks. It was only one fifteen so I went back in to get my change.

Day or night there are usually a couple of patrol cars parked in the lot watching the intersection for people running the red light, or so I thought. As I walked back out to the truck I noticed a patrol car had pulled in front of my vehicle blocking it. The policeman was out running his hand along the license plate.

As I approached he told me that they had no information at all on this tag…nothing the tag didn't exist. I told him that I had just gotten it the day before and that it probably was not in the system yet. He told me that does not happen and that the system updates immediately.

So I showed him my drivers licenses and registration, both of course in order. As he studied them I asked what I had done wrong that warranted him running my plates through the system. He angrily shoved my papers back into my hand and told me to "mind your own damn business". He stomped back to his car, sat blocking me for a few more minutes, then pulled out of the way.

When I was growing up the police were there to protect and serve. I remember them helping people with flat tires, mom used to tell me that if I was ever lost to go find a police man. Now they are simply tools for the machine, spying on and intimidating law abiding citizens. Quite frankly if I had kids I would tell them to avoid the police at all cost…don't even make eye contact, they can't be trusted.

Early Saturday morning I went back into the store to talk with the manager. I told him that I would no longer do business with him if he continued being a front for police surveillance. At the very least he needed to put a sign in the window warning the shoppers of this unwarranted activity. He said there was nothing he could do and that it was corporate policy to try and attract police to the locations. It cut down on crime.

To hell with the people rights to be secure in their papers and possessions, corporate profits come first.